More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Panera has free wi-fi
Forget Starbucks - Panera bread has free wi-fi all the time. And by all the time I mean between the hours of 8am and 8pm, when they close out here, which is the downside.
Thats really great and all, but I still don't really understand why its better to get on the internet at Panera than at your house... it seems like if theres only one place you can go to get on the wireless net, you might as well just stay home most of the time. Odds are your house is closer to work/church/whatever than Panera anyway... so I don't understand why you would make it a point to go there to use the net.
kismet/netstumbler + metro area = free wireless too. (maybe some airsnort if you're feeling...illegal)
soitc: If I can get an internet connection, I have access to phone service, email, and google. Not to sound too anti-luddite here, but I want to have continuous access to those kinds of resources because it helps me function at an almost insane level of productivity. (Not that I want to have news headlines streaming across my eye implant -- just 'instant availability) I say Panera is a good first step.
yeah. It's not a matter of "should" but rather "can". And if you're doing web design work, it's sometimes easier to meet with clients and co-workers there. It makes clients feel more comfortable and it's nice to mix up the scenery from co-workers who are sick of seeing your basement. Plus, they make better coffee than I do.
Plus when you're out and your friend challenges your claim that Elijah Wood hadn't read the LOTR trilogy before he took the role of Frodo you can make your money on that $5 bet instantly because THE INTERNET KNOWS ALL!
The problem is, if you're like me and you leave the house when you have to write a paper (because the house is too distracting...there's a bed there!)...and you end up somewhere with free wireless, somehow the paper just doesn't get written. The good news is, I just found a great coffee shop in the plaza in front of my apartment which I think will be the perfect "academic hideaway" come fall - and, they have free wireless! hahaha! (ok, so maybe I don't just "end up" at these places afterall). And, a parting word, I second EAP's herald of the House Latte. So tasty.
I really like Mocha's, but I'm starting to feel less than manly ordering them. "Hi, I'd like a double latte mocha, soy, low-fat milk please." That's like going to a bar in a lavender polo and ordering a cosmopolitan with a dash of lemon.
This morning I got a medium coffee. Like any self-respecting yuppee, I'll drive 10 minutes to get starbucks, but won't say "grade" or "venti" when I order. Small, medium, large.
9 Comments:
And they also have their House Latte, the typical creation with a twist - spiced honey sauce with a cinnamon kick. Sooooo gooooood. Yay for Panera!
Thats really great and all, but I still don't really understand why its better to get on the internet at Panera than at your house... it seems like if theres only one place you can go to get on the wireless net, you might as well just stay home most of the time. Odds are your house is closer to work/church/whatever than Panera anyway... so I don't understand why you would make it a point to go there to use the net.
kismet/netstumbler + metro area = free wireless too. (maybe some airsnort if you're feeling...illegal)
soitc: If I can get an internet connection, I have access to phone service, email, and google. Not to sound too anti-luddite here, but I want to have continuous access to those kinds of resources because it helps me function at an almost insane level of productivity. (Not that I want to have news headlines streaming across my eye implant -- just 'instant availability) I say Panera is a good first step.
yeah. It's not a matter of "should" but rather "can". And if you're doing web design work, it's sometimes easier to meet with clients and co-workers there. It makes clients feel more comfortable and it's nice to mix up the scenery from co-workers who are sick of seeing your basement. Plus, they make better coffee than I do.
Plus when you're out and your friend challenges your claim that Elijah Wood hadn't read the LOTR trilogy before he took the role of Frodo you can make your money on that $5 bet instantly because THE INTERNET KNOWS ALL!
The problem is, if you're like me and you leave the house when you have to write a paper (because the house is too distracting...there's a bed there!)...and you end up somewhere with free wireless, somehow the paper just doesn't get written. The good news is, I just found a great coffee shop in the plaza in front of my apartment which I think will be the perfect "academic hideaway" come fall - and, they have free wireless! hahaha! (ok, so maybe I don't just "end up" at these places afterall). And, a parting word, I second EAP's herald of the House Latte. So tasty.
Hmm. Maybe I'll try that sometime.
I really like Mocha's, but I'm starting to feel less than manly ordering them. "Hi, I'd like a double latte mocha, soy, low-fat milk please." That's like going to a bar in a lavender polo and ordering a cosmopolitan with a dash of lemon.
...which you do every Friday after work, redfruit.
This morning I got a medium coffee. Like any self-respecting yuppee, I'll drive 10 minutes to get starbucks, but won't say "grade" or "venti" when I order. Small, medium, large.
Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead.
Post a Comment
<< Home