More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

No Parking

We went to the mountains today, to Rocky Mountain National Park to be exact, and there was no where in the first 2 parking lots near the trail heads we wanted to hike to park. We opted for a smaller trail head four miles away and then hiked the trail we would've done from the other heads backwards. The weird part is that we passed probably a total of 5 people during our 3 mile hike. It seems there were people enough to cram 2 parking lots full to the brim and even more shuttled in who drove to the park to picnic less than 100 yards away from their cars. It was nice not to have people swarming all over the moutain, but why go to a state park to picnic? I can't see any reasonable way to be offended by this from an idealistic stand point, to say that people shouldn't picnic there, but I wish if they were going to use up all of the parking they'd at least get out and enjoy it a little bit.

Thanks to everyone who didn't post a single response to the medicine or disabilities threads, since you're the same people who complain when I don't post on "serious" topics or frequently enough. Freakin' hypocrits.

7 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

My ONE "complaint" was merely to echo what you wrote on hans-georg gadamer's blog, because I thought it was extremely funny when you posted it there--I knew you were having a busy week and didn't really mean it.

My lack of comments on the murderball and medicine threads was to give you a chance to go at it with j. morgan without me jumping in out of the blue.

I've NEVER said anything about the level seriousness of your blog--I wouldn't do that.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger E.A.P said...

I like the "frivolous" posts you have. Then again, I'm no serious blogger myself, so maybe I'm not qualified to comment on appropriate blogging topics. I still think your Otis Spunkmeyer post was among the finest to appear on The Machine. Say hello to your wifey and enjoy those hikes!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Mair said...

I would like to a) defend lazy state park goers and b) give props to you and your buff self. So:

a) I hate hiking ONLY because I am in such bad shape that it is not at all enjoyable for me, but rather burdensome and makes me feel pretty dang awful. BUT - I love beautiful things in nature, so would probably picnic at the base of a mountain. HOWEVER, if I were in excellent physical condition, I might agree with you and I would also join in on the hiking. But, for now, let those of us who are slobs who can't hike enjoy the mountains too, just in a different way.

b) How ridiculous can we be to "complain" about what other people find it appropriate, desirable, and enjoyable to blog about?? If someone wants serious posts, do them yourself. I think your blog is just about the best mix of "serious" topics and random things that are great to read about. It fits your personality perfectly and I love it.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger RJ said...

Lock in the auxiliary power, chewie.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger RJ said...

Seriously though you guys, thanks for the comments. I like the frivilous blogs now and then too, and yes, otis was a great first post - thank you for saying so.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

Who called your posts frivolous??

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger P said...

I do wish you would learn to spell hypocrites...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home