More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Batman Begins (again)

I saw Batman Begins last night and despite this being DC's second recent attempt at Batman, it's finally gotten the franchise off on the right foot. Much better than the 80's/early 90's series, they found a way to capture the image of the comics without the hilarity of the 70's TV show (which wasn't bad at all, but the two don't mix well.) With this movie, DC finally has a film on par with Marvel's already extraordinary comic movie series.

The Batsuit still looks a little bit funny, but to the extent that you could make a grown man running around in a black rubber helmet with pointy ears look...reasonable, they have; and it's more than you would think. And while it will never be possible to overcome the strangeness of seing a real person in the batsuit, this movie did manage to do something Marvel hasn't to this point: make a great comic film without destroy the ending in cheesy dialogue. The film is loaded with the same style as the comics, giving the same feeling I got reading them or watching the excellent animated series. Katie Holmes does fine, Liam Neeson is appropriately amazing, and Christian Bale is without a doubt the best Batman/Bruce Wayne to date.

In conclusion, this movie was about a billion times better than Star Wars 3.


Holy new franchise!

12 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Mair said...

This is totally unrelated to Batman, but a lot of girls I know think Christian Bale is really attractive...and I just don't see it. Sorry.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Greg said...

If you look at your blog through an RSS reader instead of a browser then the image shows up.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Greg said...

and it shows up when I'm at home, but not at work. Thats very strange...

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger RJ said...

What? Are you talking about the picture attached to this post? I can always see it too. Is anyone else having problems with that?

I know a few girls who think he's hott as well, and I too don't understand the attraction.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger JMC said...

Yeah, Uhle and I saw it on Saturday and we thought it was a) the best of any of the Batman films and b) probably the best attempt at turning a comic into a film across the board.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger RJ said...

Best attempt at turning a comic into film across the board? Wow, I guess you really did like it. I don't think I could take it that far. It's definitely the best attempt to take Batman to film, absolutely the best DC comic on film, but better than X-Men? Better than SpiderMan? I don't know about that. It captures its essence extremely well, but so do the other two genres. Spidey I'll doc a few points for excessive cheesiness and power-ranger-esque masks, but X-Men 2 is an amazing movie that captures the essence of the books extremely well. I'll put Batman right up there with it, but not above it.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger JMC said...

Well, you’re judicious, well informed, articulate, and thoughtful. I can’t argue with you on this one; I thought X-Men 2 was really good. I don’t think the Spiderman franchise is all that good so much as it is highly entertaining. But, that’s just me.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger RJ said...

SpiderMan without Kristen Dunst would be much better. SpiderMan is probably my single most favorite comic because it combines generally humorous witty dialogue with typical comic heroism. I thought the first movie did this quite well, apart from the last 2 minutes when Dunst's cheesiness ruined the mood. The second movie was pretty good but a lot sappier all around. I'm still very excited for the third one, which isn't scheduled to release until 2007.

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was wasy etter than the previous trio of them--they last one was especially campy. This was much darker and definitely had a better plot line.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I was a big fan of the SpiderMan cartoon but I really disliked the movies for a few reasons
1)the actor that was SpiderMan
2)Kirsten Dunst
3)I thought the special effects sucked (the webslinging in particular)
4)dialogue spoken without being able to see mouth movement (I just can't get over how weird that seems to me- its like watching a crappy dubbed film without the inherent comedy)
5)The whole split personality thing with Willam Dafoe (was the whole mirror/mask scene really necessary?)
6)Did I mention how much I hate Kirsten Dunst? Any movie where I don't feel the urge to bone the protagonist's love interest is an automatic fail...

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger porchwise said...

Batman (the TV series) was low camp. Batman one and two, low camp. Batman three, High Camp. Don't know what 'camp' is? Watch any Jack Nicholson movie..he's the master of camp.

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally saw Batman Begins last night and I have to say that it is without a doubt the best Batman movie since the original Adam West.

Spiderman mixes noble hero with chessy lines and witicisms. That is just who he is and it works.

But Batman needs to be presented either as a hilareous parody of himself (Adam West) or as the Dark Knight. I really liked this movie because he was the Dark Knight, and they did everything possible to focus on that theme. They had as little cheese as is possible for a series about a grown man in a Bat suit beating up people and leaping from rooftop to rooftop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home