More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Google to Conquer France

In Google's plan to put some 15 million books online for free, France sees the beginning of the end, stating that "the Google project will enhance the dominance of the English language and of Anglo-Saxon ways of thinking." At least they acknowledge the dominance.

3 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

The dominance of Anglo-Saxon ways of thinking? My long-dead Angle and Saxon sires will be most pleased to hear that they will be returning to a level of dominance not seen since the glory days of the 4th century!

In other news, I don't know too much about copyright laws, but more information almost always leads to more democracy. I'd like to upload all the Chinese and then have them kick Hu Jintao in the face. And then have Hu Jintao kick Kim Jong-Il in the face. And then put them in a room together and shake the room until they fight. Winner gets blasted into outer space--loser looks burnt or dead.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Google is the best thing ever. They will take over the world, one France at a time. Or maybe just the computer industry. Someone should write Billy Gates a memo and let him know to start packing.
Furthermore, French people know that their language is ridiculous and their rape of English made ours ridiculous too. They should just be happy that their language has lasted this long, and smile their stringy French smiles when they see all the ridiculous silent letters and other stupid relics of French in the English that is taking over the world. Amen.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger JMC said...

I am really glad this is happening, although, as a hard-and-fast traditionalist, I am a bit afraid. I don’t think there is any replacement for an actual, bound book. The medium matters just as much as the message. And, while this may be a great way for knowledge (and, consequently, democracy) to spread, it isn't a great replacement for reading in a book. I would hate for future generations (or oppressed communities) to think they are equivalent, or worse still, to never know the pleasure of reading ink on paper.

As for the French, their complex history with the English speaking world, has led to a lot of resentment over our culture surpassing theirs. Several years ago, when American English officially became lingua franca, the French government made the same sort of outrageous comments. I hate to use the old conservative line about their bitterness stemming from "us savin' their asses in WWII," but...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home