More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Troubling Dreams

I had a dream this morning that I was part of a relief group sent to Iraq. On the first day before any of my training or the real program started, I was visiting the house of some friends there when Sunni insurgents burst in. There was one other westerner there and myself, and we quickly ran to hide. We went first to the bathroom, but then I remembered that bathrooms are notoriously bad hiding places and always searched thoroughly, so then I ran to a bedroom and hid underneath a pile of toys. I remember praying frantically that they wouldn't find me and starting to wonder if I'd be beheaded on the internet or just tortured when I woke up.

I spent the rest of the morning fading in and out of sleep wondering what the best way to avoid the insurgency would have been. Claiming to be a muslim wouldn't help, since Al-Zarqawi showed his true colors and publically authorized the already frequent killing of fellow muslims, including women and children. Claiming to be an agent of peace and offering to serve wouldn't likely help either. Peaceful resistence sounded about as useful as Ghandi's suggestion that the jews offer themselves to the Nazi furnaces. I came up with three options that seemed feasible in my troubled half-sleeping state:
1.) Arm all of the shi'ites. We're already trying to do this in an organized way, and arming them the same way the sunni's are armed would only lead to civil war. It's not like all Sunni's are terrorists, anyway.
2.) Keep Rainbow Six or at least Domingo Chavez with you at all times. I think this one would work.
3.) Stay in the US.

I'm still a little edgy and jumpy now, three hours later at work.

5 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Rachel McGowan said...

Soooooo I pretty much think you're awesome.
I work at the Jamba Juice and Chili's on Alameda...they're both in the new-ish Aurora City Place thing. And you should definitely come visit! I have more seniority at Jamba Juice so I can hook ya up there...but I don't even know how to do discounts at Chili's yet haha. So if you don't like fruit, you're outta luck.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Rachel McGowan said...

WOAH that comment was at 4:44...what are the odds?

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Justin said...

First, since it's a dream, the correct response would be to quit hiding and kick some insurgent ass with a dazzling array of ninja moves- complete with flying, fireballs shot out of your palms and/or Jedi mind tricks.

But seriously, in real life your options are slightly more limited. I would say escape on the monkey bars, but training videos have shown insurgents to be especially adept. That said, I think the correct response would be to stop showering immediately, and then yell "Allah Ackbar!" as loud as you can while slicing the other westerner's throat, quickly following this up with a stereotypical "AiAiAiAi" war cry.

Just kidding, but seriously, don't extremists respond to logic and tolerance? or has the left been blowing smoke up my ass?

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Justin said...

By the way, you should notice that I waited for others to take that question seriously before I posted.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger RJ said...

I did notice - thank you for displaying such impeccable manners.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home