A Soiled Reputation
The sport of lacrosse lost a big chance for good publicity this weekend when the Buffalo Bandits acted like total tools on camera for 2 hours straight. Their game was against the Colorado Mammoth, and while I'm definitely biased, it's hard to argue with the statistics: Colorado had about 5 minutes total of penalty time, while Buffalo had over 30, and Buffalo lost the game 16-9. Their problems start from the top down: their coach was mic-ed (as in, wore a microphone) and was heard spewing profanity before the censors kicked in at least 4 times. He refused to talk to the announcers and was spitting tobacco juice whenever on camera. The Mammoth played great and didn't retaliate to any of the ridiculous assaults Buffalo made, and the refs responded well by penalizing Buffalo each time.
Lacrosse already suffers from a bad image, thanks to players like those at Duke who continue to propagate the stereo type that all players are privileged thugs, white boys with money, with less decency than a rabid dog. Buffalo didn't help much, making the game look like a series of cheap shots and lucky breaks. Hopefully the Mammoth's classy performance said enough about the other side of lacrosse to keep people from writing it off. I wish lacrosse didn't have this image, and some, like US Lacrosse, insist it's just a stereotype, but in my experience it's largely true. While the demographic is changing, many of the players I've played against, and most who were good at the sport, were terrible human beings I couldn't stand to be around. The only way this'll ever change is if better people start playing, and that means more publicity, more opportunities, and more emphasis on not being a jerk.
I'd include an obligatory picture of Gary Gait here, but blogger sucks from work and doesn't want to upload one, so just imagine it for me, or go here.
And most of you don't care, so I'll leave it at that. The first bottom line is that lacrosse players shouldn't be thugs. The second bottom line is that Drew Wardlow can respond to this post without needing a dictionary to translate what I've said into the undaunting vernacular consistent with common parlance.
In other news, both Christian Kantianist and "Fashion, Trends, I'm a woman" are in danger of being removed from my links section and my google homepage. Why have a blog if you never -- and I mean not-since-February never -- post? But don't delete your blog - just start posting, darn it. I want to know what's going on.


5 Comments:
Well, I hate to propigate the stereotype, but I've had several lacross players in my classes this semester and one totally plagerized his paper (for which I gave him a ZERO) and the other borderline threatened me when I told him if he didn't turn his paper in NOW, he would get a ZERO.
Oh - Josh and I were wondering if you wore headgear as a child??
I think it's a totally reasonable stereotype. I hate lacrosse players.
No...I never wore headgear...do I look like a head gear guy? Is that some kind of insult, like asking someone if they ever rode the short bus? I want to retaliate, but I'm not sure it's justified, so I won't. You win.
it's not an insult. We were talking about head gear last night and we knew we had some friends who had the terrible experience. We couldn't remember if you were one of them.
Retailiate all you want - not only was I homeschooled for crying out loud, I had PERM in 4th grade!!!
http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/prostats/boxscore.html?gameid=309033
Colorado had 10 minutes of penalties, while Buffalo had 41, including a 10 minute "abuse of officials" misconduct.
I did have lots of orthodontia and wore sports goggles during basketball as a kid, but that's absolutely nothing like wearing a headgear.
Sorry it took me so long to comment. First I would like to thank Mr. Redhurt for writing a post that I could for the most part understand. Secondly I would like to point out the fact the UVA beat G'town 20-8 in the quarter finals today, all I can say is wow. Finally I would like to point out that the Denver Outlaws have nearly 14,000 fans at their first game, Colorado is money when it comes to lacrosse attendance. I'm nearly not going to re-read this comment or edit so enjoy the errors.
Post a Comment
<< Home