More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tetris!

I play tetris in the bathroom. It helps to pass the time, if you know what I mean, and today I set high scores in my two main events: "40 lines" and "Ultra." The goal in "40 lines" is to see how fast you can break 40 lines and how high your score can be. Today I broke 40 mines in 182.3 seconds with a score of 7580. In "Ultra" the goal is to see how high you can score in 3 minutes. I scored 7697, making it to level 4 with 35 lines. These records represent a new breakthrough in my tetris skillz, since I last set records back in November, and also represent roughly 7 minutes of my life that I'll never have back. It's also a testament to how much better we do at things like this whilst hyped up on caffeine, which I'm not anymore but was earlier.

flush!

It's snowing here again today, which kind of sucks. El Nino is an inconvenient truth. I wish Al Gore was here to take our SUV's away and return us to happier, sunnier times, when our snow falls were always followed by 3+ days of 50 degree sunshine.

In other news, Windows Vista was released today, which means all the hackers and 13 year old danish kids will be working all night long to write us up some new fresh viruses. If you're thinking about upgrading, and you probably will, don't. Wait at least a year, maybe two, and see what happens. Either that, or disconnect your computer from the internet, and, to be safe, never turn it on. And if you really, really, really want/need all those great features Vista's offering, and you absolutely have to have them RIGHT NOW, then go buy a Mac, because it's safer, prettier, easier to use, and not much more expensive than upgrading to Vista.


I make computers fun!

In the mac vs. PC spirit, engadget had a post earlier this week featuring the weird british version of those ads we all know and love. Here's a sample:


Apparently they're in Japanese these days too.

32 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I love Tetris. In fact, it's rated third on the "Current List of Things I Love"

The list is as follows:
1) Chipotle.
2) Tetris.

and by third I mean second, because I could only come up with two things that I love unequivocally.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger MsStone said...

You really have time to play games in the bathroom? Impressive. I guess.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger E.A.P said...

I wish I had a piechart which further subdivided my tomfoolery, monkey business, and larking about. I think that would really improve me quality of life.

Thanks for sharing. Hope the snow's stopped by now.

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i have a tetris score of 40 lines in 92 seconds... yeaaaa

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 40 lines record is 67.8 seconds. I win. Again.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger RJ said...

you anonymous geniuses continue to amaze me with your anonymous genius. How do you ever do it?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Lyncho said...

actually that last anonymous comment was me. i was on a different computer (at school) at the time. and i am the king of tetris 40 lines.

Your blog is pretty cool by the way.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my record for 40 lines is 50.5 seconds! i win.

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Adamson514 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Adamson514 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Adamson514 said...

i have a tetris 40 lines time of 64.6 im pretty happy about it. haha

 
At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude you suck!!
lol

my high score on ultra is 19,170!
my high score on 40 lines is 61.3!


lol, i only play in the bathroom also!
lol, well ima tetris pimp00

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger RJ said...

well, I don't have a phone that can play the game anymore, so I'm done for now...

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, you are all fairly useless at tetris 40 lines. I can generally do a sub 60 seconds in a session (on the loo usually), and my record is an astounding 47.7s. Does this make me the all time champion or what? - Jay

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger RJ said...

I suppose it does.

It's a little weird to me that out of everything I've posted on this blog, this post continues to get comments months and months after the original posting, while most posts don't get any.

Maybe I should just start a tetris blog.

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all claiming 40 line records in the 60 sec range and less, you either have some super accelerated version of Tetris or you are telling fish tales. If every line fell perfectly at the highest rate with no delays it is still not possible to register a time less than 120 on Tetris Deluxe v. 1 by Jamdat for cell phones.

If you have another rversion please advise. Otherwise, please consider revising your postings.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger RJ said...

This post is over a year old - seriously, let it go!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger 0r4cl3 said...

Apparently someone doesn't know about the up-button "instant drop" feature. My best score which I just got today was 59 seconds flat. This was on version 1.30.76 of jamdat tetris for me cell.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u know about the following:
1. the quick drop button
2. the store button which lets u store a piece which can be recalled anytime
3. achieving a tetris (4 lines together) reduces goal by 8/12 lines so u actually need only 4 tetrises to finish the game,

then the timings reduce drastically...my best on my samsung mobile is 47.8 but i think it is possible to go below 45 seconds if ure dealt a favorable set of pieces...

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I play ultra almost exclusively, and my record is 21,634. That was level 8 with 49 lines. When I play 40 lines, the record doesn't change from the first time I played it, though. It's quite frustrating.

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

proof of under 60 seconds would be nice

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger 0r4cl3 said...

Just take our word for it; it's possible. When you get your first sub-60 second score, you'll remember that you forgot to breathe during that minute...concentration....oh yea

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i must be pretty good cause ihave a 40 lines time of 44.5..i can take a pic for proof lol

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought my time of 51.7 was unbeatable... looks like i need more practise!!!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Dooby said...

Wow some impressive records here!
Here're mine:
40 lines -- 65.1
Ultra -- 18424

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

54.8 seconds on 40 Lines, so I guess I am in the upper tier of speed, seeing the other records posted. yay.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my best is 47.5, i reckon its possible to get sub 45 tho on the right run

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gutted that someone has beaten my score on ultra of 19260 didn't think it was possible

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Freddie said...

Gutted I thought I was the world record holder of 40 lines lol. I have 46.9 and i've had it twice! I want to see a photo of this "44.5" then??:)

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My records:
40 lines - 43.4
Ultra - 34503
Marathon - 214268

so I guess I win for now :)

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Timo said...

my record is 48.9 in 40 lines! I knew it to be possible to get a better score. some pics would be great tho, but I believe you. Why would anyone lie here since you're looking for a best tetris player.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home