Early Morning Run
Today I got up and went jogging. I'm not in great shape, and this weekend will be the first lacrosse game in 3 weeks, and my back is hurting like mad, so I took my dog and went jogging around the neighborhood. It was pretty nice. The sun wasn' t up yet, but it was rising, and so we got to see some cool colors which my Dog, being mostly color blind, couldn't appreciate, and which Hans, being also rather colorblind, would've thought a funny shade of brown.
Lately I've thought that one of the reasons I don't do a lot of the things I want to do is because when I've tried to do them, I didn't make them sustainable activities. Here's what I mean: in the past, when I've gone running before work, I've gone RUNNING, and run hard, like we did in highschool after lacrosse practice when our coaches thought that throwing up made better players. The results had been that the rest of my day was spent feeling sore and tired and miserable. Another example was the time I tried to read the One Year Bible. I tried to dilligently read a little bit every day, and I died somewhere between Leviticus and Numbers. I'm too busy to read that much about the old law every day, and if you disagree, well, I don't care.
So this morning, instead of running my guts out, I took things really slow, and barely ran, mostly jogging, and it was really good. My dog didn't get nearly as good a work out, but she's a dog, and has bad breath, and is happy just about all of the time anyway, and from what she eats or tries to eat doesn't seem that concerned with her health. I don't know if I'll keep doing it, but I'll probably do it more often than I have (never), and that'll be great.
This sort of "low effort sustainability" puts me in sharp contrast with Charles, who has no problem lifting for 3 hours before work and running 27 miles in the evening, each and every god-forsaken day.


3 Comments:
I heard Charles also sleeps upside down, like a bat, because it makes it easier for his heart to pump blood to his brain. Plus, and I can't confirm this, he does it outside, naked.
God Lord! Start in the NT if you want to have any chance of reading through in a year! This is my life and only made it to Isaiah 50something a few years back when I started in the OT!
God Lord! Haha! God = Good!
Post a Comment
<< Home