Spider-Man 3: not good.
I was convinced earlier this week to attend a midnight opening showing of Spider-Man 3 because a certain flash celebrity wanted to go and got my office psyched up about it. We all bought tickets, but then he canceled on us at the last minute, preferring to stay home and laugh at all those geeks he'd made sit in a theater until 2:30 am. And if he knew how awful the movie would be, he'd be laughing even harder.Marvel has taken pains to force the Spider-Man series to follow the same trail they blazed last year with X-Men. It goes something like this. In your first film, introduce the characters, and make them fight a bad guy in a stupid costume. In the second film, make the movie longer, increase the character development, and find a villain who doesn't look quite as retarded. In the third and final film, throw everything out the window with an abysmally awful piece of crap featuring the same actors pretending they resemble their earlier characters.
I'm happy to report that Spider-Man 3 was still better than X-Men 3, and much better than Star Wars 3, but as far as 3's go, it could've been so much more. The film's tag line was something like, "every hero has a conflict within". Spider-Man's inner conflict consisted of dressing in all black, adopting an emo hair cut, and dancing around Manhattan saying rude things to people. It was strange and stupid to watch - if I want to see inner conflict against evil in my heroes, I want to see them start killing innocents and call it collateral damage, or at least get really angry and spit a little when they yell at the villain, or maybe even get some new evil power that steals people's souls. Wearing a black suit and snapping your fingers at super models who clearly think you're dumb isn't an expression of inner conflict - it's an expression of inner retardedness.
The movie was also riddled with crappy cliche situations: things which ordinarily wouldn't challenge the mighty spidey at all become suddenly life threatening (oh no! it's a big stick!); Mary Jane, Peter, and Harry take their relationships to new levels of dysfunctional stupidity by misinterpreting situations in ways no sane person could and saying things that even the most insensitive idiot wouldn't; the bad guys stop suddenly and give cheesy orations on how they just wanted to be good, but couldn't, fifteen seconds out of beating the crap out of both Spider-Man and the city of New York, and Spider-Man gets teary-eyed and sympathetic rather than asking the obvious question: if you really wanted to be good, why did you throw so many cars through buildings?
Thankfully, this is the first Spider-Man movie that doesn't end in some horrible acted sentimental nonsense by Kirsten Dunst. Unfortunately, that's because most of the rest of the movie features equally superficial idiocy, but it's spread around to everyone.
I'm trying to find something good to say about this movie and struggling. I guess the....costumes....were well done. It's also one of the first movies who's teaser poster, shown above, doesn't so much tell you about what's going to happen during the movie as how you're going to feel afterwards, which I'd appreciate more if that feeling wasn't "depressed." It probably wouldn't have seemed so bad if I hadn't watched it at midnight, and if it hadn't been set up so well by the first two movies, and if it hadn't been such a god-awful movie.
I'll post about our trip sometime, I think, but it's hard to find a good way to condense two weeks into anything short enough to post.


8 Comments:
So you liked the movie?
yeah it was ok.
I am hopping on all these points and riding them with pleasure, just like I did your Mom, RJ. Jk, sorry Mrs. Owen. I couldn't tell if the movie was trying to be profound in the way it was so stereotypical or if they really just didn't give a damm about the meaning of the plot by the time they were done getting the sandman sequences to look as good as they did and just wanted to laugh in our faces.
I think you're wrong. See, Lou told me before I saw the movie that you hated it, and that made me really mad, 'cause I couldn't view the movie with an objective viewpoint anymore. But I still liked it, even though the whole time I was trying to make myself see why you hate it and basically hate it myself. Sure Peter acting like a total douche was awkward and we hated it, but that's the point. The symbiote makes him a total jackass. Granted there could've been a little more inner conflict. I did also get real fed up with the Mary Jane subplot. Who cares if she can't act? Kirsten Dunst can't do it in real life. They could've also gotten in more of the black suit. But seriously, how does it not create inner conflict? HE FREAKING KILLS HARRY (at least he thinks he does). I thought the end was great. I loved the way Venom looked, but I would've liked a little more "we" talk and a different creepy voice. I will admit it wasn't as good as the previous two movies, 1 is still the best, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as you're making it seem. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that you saw it at midnight, so 1) you're already tired and irritable, 2) those clients gave you the shaft, and 3)you enjoy prancing around like an idiot. And that's that.
1.) Everyone who went with me hated it too, and the rest of the midnight geek patrol was uttering things like "X3 all over again" as we slowly ushered our way out of the narrow confines of the theater. In fact, I liked it more than most of the geeks I heard complaining, because they thought it was even worse than X3 (which is nearly impossible.) So, while I agree that I'm a pissy critical jerk when it comes to movies, it's not just me on this one.
2.) Please don't use the word "douche" on my blog, especially if you know what a douche is. If you do not, please look it up.
3.) Tap dancing around with emo hair isn't inner conflict for spiderman and is simply ridiculous. I don't care if the suit makes him act like a jerk in real life - no one comes to see SpiderMan because they enjoy the intense relationship drama of Peter Parker. Other things that don't include giving into the dark side include accidentally causing the not-death of a crazed hoverboarder who's trying to kill you while fighting with restraint or saying angry words to the Sandman. Examples of giving in to the dark side would be things like I listed before - taking the lives of innocent people for granted, refusing to rescue kittens from trees like the old lovable spidey would, and webbing J. Jonah Jamison in the crotch for giggles. He did none of these things, and didn't even attempt the last one.
4.) I'm sorry if it made it harder for you to watch the movie. You should, as a general rule, avoid my blog and my opinion if you know I've seen a movie that you haven't, because chances are good I didn't like it and will be more than happy to tell you why.
Yes well, I didn't read the blog before I saw it. Lou just told me like right before I left. She just threw out a "RJ thought it was bad" right as I left.
What about douchebag? Or saying "X is literally a giant sack of douche?" If you outlaw that, I lose like... a whole doucheload of my vocabulary.
How about that kickass cameo by Bruce Campbell? He makes a cameo in every Sam Raimi movie, and Raimi just talked about making an Evil Dead 4 in an interview!
PS: I haven't seen the third movie, and probably won't. Just like X3, Star Wars 3, and the second half of Matrix 3, which I walked out on.
He thought he killed Harry when harry threw the bomb at him, he dodged it, caught it with his web, and threw it back at him (scarring his face and everything). That's what scott was referring to.
Overall, I liked the movie. It was a disappointment (particularly the stupid dancing stuff and Mary Jane just breaking up with Peter because Harry told her to, without even trying to warn Peter), but I thought Venom was done very well (both the background story, minus how the suit got to earth, which was cheesy, and the effects), the Sandman was decently cool, and Harry made a cool Goblin, particularly in that first fight scene. And the effects when Spider-man was wearing the black suit, and was more agile and everything, those were really cool.
So yeah, a lot of cool stuff. Sure, I didn't like everything in the movie, but it was still way better than X-3, and the trilogy is still cool overall.
Post a Comment
<< Home