More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Monday, October 10, 2005

cold and whatnot


It's cold and snowing here this morning. I drove in to work behind a row of cautious Texans who, having never seen snow before, no doubt consider the assault of freezing white wetness from the heavens judgement for our nations sins and the fault of liberals in Washington, and regardless of their beliefs saw fit to drive their high-clearance trucks and SUV's at 35 miles an hour. I felt bad for these poor lost southerners and kept a respectful distance from their pack. We made all of the lights and so didn't seriously alter my 10 minute commute. Good.

The snow is coming down fast and thick still, breaking branches off of trees who hadn't realized Winter would be making an early appearance this Fall. If it were about 5 degrees colder or this snow lasted for more than a day or so, we'd be on par for an early blizzard.

The cold is nice to come home to. We left a wamer (?) Cincinnati yesterday and arrived here at 8pm to a cold rain which turned to snow while we slept. It's nice because it doesn't feel *quite* like coming back to the same place I left, which is always the worst part of going back to work after a vacation or even just a weekend.

13 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Ugh... I don't know about moving out to Colorado if it snows in October. We may need to reevaluate.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Mair said...

I'm so jealous. Today is the first midly chilly day we've had (by mildly chilly I mean 66 degrees) - and I love some good October weather. Though, the fact that 66 is chilly to me means that one year in the South has ruined me forever and I could probably never make it through a Grove City rain, snow, sleet windy onslaught of winter again.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger RJ said...

Here's how it works out here. It snows for a few days in October, then it's warm again, then we have some medium sized storm in november, and then it's warm again. It'll stay 40-50 through much of december, and then the snow actually starts for real in January. And by "for real" I mean we'll have snow on monday and 60 degrees again by friday. There will be a few real storms in februrary, one big one in March, and then we're done and that's it.

Take a few more years to get the Michigan out of your system, and then move here. :) Colorado snow isn't cold like Michigan or even Grove City cold because there's no water in our air to hold the chill. You can shovel your driveway in your gym shorts.
and some people do.
I am not one of those people.
seriously.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Let me tell you Florida works. Today it was ninety and sunny. Tomorrow it will ninety degrees and sunny. Wednesday it will be ninety degrees and sunny, although we will have a thunderstorm for around an hour at four o'clock. Thursday it will ninety degrees and sunny. I can play golf in my gym shorts, provided my gym shorts are made out of some khaki-like material and are pants, because I'm a pro- we don't wear your stupid shorts.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger P said...

I hate Texans...they really can't do anything right...they don't even drive right down here in their own state.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger JMC said...

Texans aren't Southerners.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Justin said...

What? Why not?

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger RJ said...

They absolutely are. Consider the following evidence:

1.) They drink sweet tea by the gallon

2.) They are disproportionately Baptist, often Southern Baptist.

3.) Many are racists.

4.) They are in the south.

They're a different breed of southerner than your aristocratic virginians, but their still cut from the same confederate cloth.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger MsStone said...

"They absolutely are. Consider the following evidence:

1.) They drink sweet tea by the gallon

2.) They are disproportionately Baptist, often Southern Baptist.

3.) Many are racists.

4.) They are in the south."

I resent this. Only SOME Texans are like that. SOME. A FEW. Stupid stereotypes.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger RJ said...

look, punkin. whatever else you might say, texas is as far south as this country goes, and they were so excited to join the confederacy they even fired their heroic and beloved Sam Houston from his spot as governor.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger MsStone said...

I'll give you that, it's quite southern...in location. But I hate sweet tea, I'm not Baptist (that's right, I dance) and I'm not racist.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger RJ said...

well, you don't live in Texas anymore, do you? I bet if you did, you'd be chugging the tea and condemning the dancers. Good thing you got out while you still could.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger MsStone said...

AMEN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home