Hotel Rwanda
Tonight we watched Hotel Rwanda and it's hard to put my reaction into words. Here's a few of the ideas I'm kicking around:
1.) How should nations react to genocide? I certainly WANT the EU and US to invade and keep peace in places like Rwanda and the Sudan when warlords start killing women and children for ridiculous reasons, but do we have any right to? Can a nation say it's their right to stop the wholesale slaughter of people? If the answer is yes, it needs to happen consistently. If the answer is no, then the UN needs a peace keeping force trained to use weapons, allowed to use weapons, and able to be deployed and moved rapidly. Unfortunately, this is probably impossible.
2.) I'm very glad we invaded Bosnia with force and didn't pull the standard U.N. half-assing that happened in Rwanda.
3.) I'm very glad the U.N. half-assed it in Rwanda when everyone else was no-assing it.
The killing that occurred in Rwanda was absolutely horrible. As an individual, I'm grieved and appalled. I want to start an international army to stop things like this, but I can't because it's entirely impractical in every respect other than desire. I want the US to deploy it's awesome and devistating army into every situation like this to end the massacres, but it can't, because it's duty is to protect it's people, and it can't do that well spread out across the world stopping every idiot warlord who declares jihad or genocide or whatever. It's absolutely terrible, and it's the horribly upsetting and disgusting reality of our broken world that there really isn't anything I can do right now to end the continued genocide going on in Darfur.
Sorry, this post is rather aimless. I'm just a little upset.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home