Rwandans in Darfur
I read this morning that back in July, the US helped airlift peace keeping troops from Rwanda along with several hundred other NATO allies to Darfur in the Sudan to help end the genocide there. The mudville gazette reports that the US, Germany and England helped move over 1200 Rwandan troops to the area.
I'm really thrilled to know that someone is doing something there, and this time, it's a group of people who know first hand how terrible genocide can be.
After watching Hotel Rwanda earlier this weekend, I struggled with what our response in the US to such incidents should be. I think it should consistently be things like this. We should aid and assist with our technology, supplies, money, etc., but we cannot commit American troops to end every civil war in the world. We can't be the world's police force or rebuild every factitious nation in our image. We need to be engaged in aiding our allied governments and involve ourselevs in countries where our national interests are at steak, but generally we should remain as uncommitted as we can while giving our full support to efforts that promote peace and stability.


3 Comments:
Would Argentina count as a country where our interests are at "steak"?
Hey-O! and feel free to delete these...
you know... cause the beef...
Post a Comment
<< Home