More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

10,000 Days

The new tool cd is really quite awesome, and I highly recommend it. I've been listening to it since it came out over a week ago to really get a feel for it, and it's definitely one of the best I've heard in a long time. Without adopting the sort of pedantic review style Tool would despise, I'll just say that it's incredible, and develops their style more than previously. Lead singer Maynard James Keenan seems to sing in and under the music more than on previous albums, and the rhythms and melodies are definitely the greater focus. The opening track is the current single released on the radio and criticizes society, all of it, for thriving on the tragedies of others, glued to our TV's watching people die. The second song is about sacrifice, but the album really excels on the third and fourth track.

The third and fourth are by far my favorite. They're meant to be played together, and are apparently a tribute to Kennan's mother, "Judith Marie," who suffered a stroke and was paralyzed until her death 27 years later (approximately 10,000 days.) He's calling for her to be accepted into heaven and given the angel wings she deserves. The way the tracks build, resonate and compliment each other is simply astounding. The level of emotion conveyed through the mixture of instrumental and vocal music is creative and unique - really amazing.

The album continues with their familiar mix of calls for gnostic revelation and criticism for popular culture. They describe someone who's blitzed out of their mind, have a track called "lipan conjuring" (the Lipan are a group of Apache Indians) that consists of a people wailing the whole time, and end the lyrical section on the 10th track criticizing humanity for misusing knowledge and agency in a misguided obsession with fighting for power.

On previous disks from both Tool and A Perfect Circle, Keenan seems very well acquainted with Christian imagery, but completely rejects Christianity, Christ and the Christian notion of redemption. This trend is especially blatant on APC's first single, Judith, where Maynard repeatedly berates Judith for her faith in God. While there's no shocking break from this trend on the current disk, and indeed the jacket is covered with renditions of Satan from Inferno, the lyrics seem more redemptive, as if Maynard's found a degree of peace and given up criticizing Christ for the faults of his followers. Judith is presumably the same Judith Marie, his mother, whose faith and life he's lauding and crediting his own salvation to on the aforementioned second track. Near the end of this track, he says the following:

"Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance,
Burden of proof tossed upon the believers.
You were the witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one."

And on the second track,

"The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.
But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round
So I, I would wish this all away"

While I hesitate to try and read too much of my reaction into the lyrics, it sounds in my mind like he's playing out redemption, which isn't something I ever expected to hear on a Tool disk. He explores this theme passionately and delicately, respectfully, and with the characteristic honesty of someone who understands. I appreciate that, and combined with the amazing music this album has to offer, makes it an invigorating confluence of style and substance I can't recommend highly enough.

The album also seems to be filled with puzzles. One track is almost all noise. The cd jacket comes with a pair of glasses installed, through which pictures in a book that would normally hold lyrics can be seen in 3d. The pictures of the band members are supposed to be pieces of some sort of puzzle, but the puzzle itself, and it's solution, are both mysteries. Without the time to plunder the depths of this kind of esoteric mystery, I'm content to take it at face value and simply enjoy the lyrics. Maybe I won't receive the powers associated with enlightenment, but you might remember that I don't have much faith in gnostics.

Whether you do or not, it's only $11 at Target right now, so why not go check it out?

And if that's not your thing, or even if it is, check this out: it's hilarious.

11 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger P said...

"Judith" is actually him berating his mother for an abusive boyfriend she had that he felt she, treated like he was Christ. Although I can't say he wasn't well aware of the double meaning when using Christ as a symbol...

Also on the lyrics you posted, I think its: "In love with the dark side, I fell"

I'm really glad you like it...I'm feeling just about the same way you are...3 & 4 blow me away...a seemingly total turn around...I really like it. And 10 is the same way...I dunno...I never thought I would look up to his lyrics from a moral point of view.


Good times.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Greg said...

I was going to point out that thing about Judith, too...

I don't know what CD its on, but he does this impersonation of a revival preacher talking about carrots. That was awhile ago, but he seemed bitter at the consumerism and general fakness in American Christianity. He was also probably bitter that for all their words about comfort and healing the church wasn't able to ease his mother's suffering at all. Some bastard probably told him that it happened for a reason... that'd piss me off too.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger RJ said...

Where did you hear the 'boyfriend hypothesis'? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't make much sense. Lyrics like, "Pray to your God, to your Christ", and:
"It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove the hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you"

seem much more logically interpreted as being about God, or at least her conception of God, since she was literally and intellectually paralyzed by it.

Searching the web, I can't find anything about a boyfriend, while there are many interpretations, such as on wikipedia, saying it's just about God. Interestingly, they also say that in a recent interview with a French magazine, Maynard said that APC is over.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the carrots track is from the "hidden" track 69 on their first full album Undertow.

http://www.hotlyrics.net/lyrics/T/Tool/Track_69.html

i liked Opiate (their EP) a lot, and Undertow is probably my favourite album with Aenema a close second.. But for me, ever since lateralus where they stopped being pissed off and started being all introspective.. quite frankly i don't like how "soft" their music has got compared to their older stuff... but that's just me.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger RJ said...

Have you been listening to the new one? I didn't get into undertow, but I have aenema, and like it a lot. I had Lateralus downloaded and got really bored with it really fast. While this isn't angry or raging, I think it's really creative, and lots of the reviews I read yesterday online said it's much better than lateralus and more in the vein of aenema. So I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, but just saying that if you haven't checked it out for fear of a lateralus repeat you might give it another chance.

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i've had it downloaded for a couple weeks now... uhm. legally of course.

Here's the funny thing: Lateralus really turned me off to Tool, but guess what.. i still paid 120$ to see them at red rocks (for 2 tickets) for that tour... and again at pepsi center... and although i listened to 10,000 Days before the concert at the buell was announced and came to the conclusion that i liked it about the same as lateralus, i still got up early on a saturday morning to try and get tickets...

tool apparently owns me no matter what.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Justin said...

You all are tools. C'mon redhurt- buy a cd? Totally unamerican. Go back to China, you pinko commie bastard.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Justin said...

and, uh... Robot Chicken is sweet.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger RJ said...

look, I'm not allowed to have an MP3 player at work.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger RJ said...

or bring in burned cd's.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger RJ said...

or talk to you about my work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home