More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Monday, September 18, 2006

monday it is.

Well, let's just pretend that I've already apologized for not updating the blog, and pretend that you cared, and just move past that. So what if it's been a few days, or even a week? I don't really get that upset when your blog sits for under a month, so why should I act like you do when mine lapses? More than a month and I do start to wonder, though.

Anyway, things have been happening, and here's a little update:

This weekend was Oktoberfest again. You may remember last year when I blogged in outrage at the number of people who came to Oktoberfest to pay $5 for 20 oz.'s of Coor's Lite, or the people who did it multiple times. This year, wind and cold kept the festivities to a minimum, and allowed me to leave at 11 instead of 1:15, so that was great. I have a small cold, and don't remember much of what happened, but it wasn't as frantic as last year.

Now, a quick update on the technology stuff you've been missing out on:

1. Windows Live Search. In anticipation of Windows Vista, Microsoft has thrown in the towel and decided to copy everything about Google that makes them awesome. Windows Live Search is a search page, provided by microsoft, that looks like a re-branded version of the Google homepage. It's a nice touch, but I don't really care for it. The evil empire of software engineering can't do anything right, so I see this as a sign that they're losing the all around battle for your technological attention, and when Vista fails to revolutionize the world, Microsoft will reap the bad harvest sown by two decades of bad software focused on making money more than good products. You can leave feedback, and I'd encourage you to do so. Mine went something like this:

"Can you look any more like Google without being Google? Nice work, but seriously, this is too little too late. As long as there's a competetor to use instead of Microsoft, I will."

2. XDrive: You may remember something called "XDrive" around the year 2000. It was a free online virtual harddrive where you could store up to 1 GB of data, or something like that. AOL has resurrected XDrive and is now offering 5 GB of free space for you to use on the web. I don't think I'll start moving all of my personal files over just yet, but it's a great place to stash your MP3's. And then maybe give the password to your friends, or post it on your website. Anyway, between this an their new free email (what a great idea!), free calendar (what a great idea!), and now new free domain names (this one really is a new idea), AOL is making a strong bid at being a relevant internet powerhouse again. Google's allegedly working up some free online harddrive thing, rumored to be called the "GDrive", but it was announced in March and hasn't materialized yet, so who knows.

3. WikiDot: Wiki's are the new blogs, sort of. WikiDot provides free online hosting for wiki's the same way Blogger does for blogs. If you don't know what a wiki is, you probably shouldn't be reading this blog, or at least not until you click the link above and educate yourself.


I think that does it. Time for me to get to work.

9 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You spelled "competitor" wrong in your message to Microsoft. Way to stick it to the man!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger RJ said...

well, I wrote my hate mail to them yesterday, and didn't spell check my post today, so there's a 50% chance or so that I spelled it right yesterday. that'll teach 'em!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Mair said...

i didn't read all the computer talk...sorry. But, you mentioned was too cold for people to come out to Oktober fest. First, isn't is September?? Second, it was 88 today in Virginia.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I recall, when Google came onto the scene there was a paucity of comprehensive search engines. I used to use Metacrawler for general searches (it supposedly gathered the results from other major sites) and resorted to topic specific (programming) or site specific searches when I wanted to get as something particular. Google gave me one thing I desparately needed (their indexing power), and one thing I didn't know I needed (small footprint w/high function).

Nowadays, I begin any sort of foray on the internet with the Goog. I've got the homepage, which is great, but I'm talking about the search box in particular. I search for 'topic wikipedia' rather than opening the wikipedia bookmark. I've even caught myself googling the time.

Windows Live isn't a bad thing, its just not a new thing. I'm quite non-plussed (is that possible?) by most of the new web trends-- social networking is little work for little reward, I've no use for web storage (not going to put private info up there, and a pirate's life is not for me) I'd like to see Indexing 2.0-- something like an Automated Grad Student-- that can make connections between concepts rather than mere keywords.

Until then, I'll still be using google if only for its neat tricks.

(no, it doesn't work in WLive)

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger RJ said...

Even not pirating, if you always want to get at your files, like some work, for instance, it's nice to be able to move it to the xdrive.

And Mair, you should read the tech stuff! Is it too boring? I know I get a little geeky, but I try to list sites I think everyone will think is useful.

Oktoberfest is always in September. It often lasts into October, but not always. It started off in October, but in Munich it just gets too cold by the end of Octoberfest, so they moved it back a few weeks and now it starts in September. Search Wikipedia for it - it's really interesting.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger RJ said...

Do you see the irony? Oktoberfest was moved to september because october's too cold in Munich, but this year it was too cold in Denver. Ha! It was probably only like 55, but the wind was just ridiculous. It's been nice ever since, so I guess we can conclude that God hates drinking this year.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger JMC said...

Inviolable is right. Google has, without much pretense or fanfare, done exactly what Yahoo, AOL, and Microsoft have spent billions trying to convince us to do: think of their service AS THE INTERNET. Google has done that for me. Everything else that is available, in my mind, is only so via the mediation of Google. That, I don’t think, can be undone. That isn’t too say that Google is and will be forever king of the hill; Microsoft is still easily in control and is able to buy any company who threatens that. It’s just to say that Google has become like Xerox or Kleenex; that is, a brand or service definitive of the category.

PS - Why not just bump Oktoberfest up to August? It's worked before!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger RJ said...

Good point. Google's most impacted me by forming a brand I trust. I know that sounds cheesy, but I really do trust google as a company to put out great products with features I want and are easy to get to. On the other hand, Microsoft has consistently created a brand I don't trust and am suspicious of. I'm convinced that they're always overcharging me for products that don't work well and will probably break. Vista and Windows Live show serious promise, but I don't care simply because I don't trust microsoft. Earning the trust back of consumers like me is going to take some serious measures. Give away Vista for free and I'll be willing to listen. Charge me $100 for it and I'm seriously considering Linux. I probably won't buy Vista but rather just wait and upgrade when I get a new computer, if ever.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger GMack said...

I like blogger better than that new thing. I check out some pages and they just aren't a visually stimulating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home