the grammys are stupid
Last night the Dixie Chicks proved that you can win grammys simply by pissing off conservatives. The Chicks managed to win 5 grammys, including "Best Country Award", despite no longer being a country band, no longer being played on any country stations, no longer being listened to by any majority of people claiming to be "country", and no longer writing any sort of good music. I'll be honest: I hate country music, but I can recognize talented musicians when I hear them, and the Dixie Chicks certainly are. Their previous albums blend a wide range of musical talent with inspired lyrics. The new album is a marketing facade of pre-menopausal angst from three women no one really cares to hear whining about anything anymore, and yet it's now been acclaimed by critics much more highly than all the rest.
It's a weird case of "statement over substance" - it didn't even bother to be stylish this time. The left-swinging entertainment moguls wanted to show their support for a band who caused a stir, and they did. It had nothing to do with their music.
The only other part of the grammys we saw was John Mayer proving he's still a pretentious ass, despite claims to the contrary, by speaking japanese to answer the question of whether or not he's really dating Jessica Simpson. This was dumb for two reasons:
1.) Speaking a foreign language is not cool, clever or witty.
2.) Any answer longer than "No" is a bad answer. A few exceptions are, "No, that woman is dumber than dirt", "You've got to be kidding me" or "I'd rather be shot".
And that's probably all you need to know about the Grammys.


4 Comments:
Great post. There's a film out called "Shut up and Sing," and it profiled the Dixie Chicks through the political controversy. It played on campus a week or two ago. I didn't get a chance to see it, so I guess that doesn't really add anything. FYI, I guess.
Jessica Simpson? Seriously?
I heard that Dixie Chicks song never even cracked the Top Twenty, and that the leader singer is ugly.
You're stupid, post dammit.
Agreed.
I'm sad that I'm flying...
and you're not posting.
K. Bye.
Post a Comment
<< Home