X3: Miserable

Another great movie trilogy ended in absolute idiocy today as X-Men 3: The Last Stand fell flat on its face. Three claws down.
Many of the reviews I read earlier this morning indicated I'd be seeing 104 minutes of substantially less plot than X2. They said the film was fast paced, filled with comic book action, and that this made up for the lack of character development. They said that new directory Brett Ratner picked up right where Brian Singer, who opted to do Superman instead of X3, left off. They were completely wrong.
The film is slow. The fight scenes are weak and boring, featuring some of the more mundane aspects of the major characters. The plot was correctly pathetic, the dialogue terrible, but the worst part of this movie is that in the end, despite the (SPOILER!) death or de-mutantization of most of the major heroes and villains alike, NOTHING HAPPENED. No epic resolution, no grand battle, no cause worth fighting for. Just a bunch of weirdos in strange costumes bashing each other into obscurity, seeming to completely forget how magnificent the first and second films were. They even managed to Famke Jenson ugly, for most of the movie, which in and of itself is a monument to badness.
And where the hell was Nightcrawler? He was awesome in X2, and if there's two things this film lacked, besides plot, it was memorable characters who held the story together and didn't die quickly. By the end, the cast of heroes and villains is shattered and the franchise is left with hardly a leg to stand on. The only way it could possibly survive for another sequel is with a fresh injection of new blood; new characters - real characters who have real screen time, unlike Colossus, Angel, Shadowcat and Iceman in this one - played by decent actors (ie completely unlike Halle Berry), with a decent director and a kickass script. Otherwise, I'd rather just see the terrible madness stop here and now. The ship is sunk - make it better next time, or don't bother bringing it back up.
Yet, as of now, the official announcement is that no X-Men 4 is in the works. Fox has stated in the past that there were plans for more than 3, and some of the new actors in this film signed on for more than one. All this really means is that they'll wait and see how much money this one brings in, and figure it out from there. Like I said before, unless they're going to do it right, why bother?
As a married 24 year old, I'm supposed to be a little mature. I'm not supposed to get upset when movies about super heroes, be they Star Wars, or the Matrix, or X-Men, are bad. But I am - I grew up with these guys! They taught me about life, and about how important it was to temper power with responsibility, and be nice to girls, and not legislate genetics, and watch out for portals to alternate universes, and things like that. So please forgive me if it's hard to see my childhood icons, strange and nerdy as they may be, made to look like total idiots. To you, they might be just guys running around blowing things up, and it's no big deal if the films are a dud now and then. That's how I feel about romantic comedies and country music, but the comic-book/super-hero gene grabbed me at a young age and never let go. In my mind, these stories all have so much potential that it's really very depressing to see it end so pathetically.
I'll be ok in an hour or so. Seriously. If you want to read a funny review, check this one out.



12 Comments:
Bummer ... I'm still going to see this Saturday, but thanks for the warning
Gotta disagree. Kitty/Juggernaut and Iceman/Pyro were great fight scenes. Too short, but otherwise a fast fun popcorn flick that managed to tug the emotions throughout.
"Explosions and sexual situations culminating in physical death."
If I'm lucky, that will be the entry in Wikipedia under my name when I'm gone...
Tugged the emotions? Look, if scenes like,
Wolverine: Let's go.
Storm: Will you be able to do what you have to when the time comes to do what you know you have to do?
Wolverine: [Profound, torn, questioning look]
tug your emotions, then you're welcome to it, and much too easy to please.
And when Wolverine tells Kitty to "hold the line" against 300 brotherhood mutants...?!?! What the hell is she supposed to do?
Yeah, I'd heard that on the rating for it too - dunno why they had to put it that way.....no one dies from any sex...
Well my sail is not as full as it once was but I still want to see it and I shall be going this afternoon. Chances are that I will be amused and still want to sprout claws from my hands.
Yeah, I bet you'll like it better than I did. I don't really mind it when they play with the story line - it doesn't have to be the same as the comics - but I'm too much of a fan to sit idly by while they kill my heroes in unimaginative and stupid situations without getting a little pissed off. Like if William Wallace got shot through the face by a stray arrow in the first 5 minutes of "Braveheart 2: Fury Unsheathed", or something like that.
Redness - I know I should have learned from past experience, but I didn't trust your judgment yet again and thought "It can't be that bad." Wow, was I wrong. Again.
I sat through most of the movie really ticked at the incredibly weak dialogue (I think they just googled "100 worst one liners" and tried to fit them in between the amazing facial expressions of patheticness) and lack of continuity with even itself (where did all the students go after the funeral, why only six?). So I was and still am royally ticked off and thought this might be the worst movie I have seen this year...and I have been watching a lot of British ones. Seriously, "On the Buses" rocked this thing and that movie is really out there.
The only redeeming part of the experience was the theological reflection I did for most of the movie on a particular death and the aftermath amongst the others. Won't spoil it but the end scene after the credits almost redeemed it (did you stay for it?).
So there it is. I hope they don't do stupid so well next time and I will give them one more shot.
Yeah, I stayed for the end scene after the credits. I thought it was really good, and raised the movie to "Miserable" from "I'd rather be eviscerated by adimantium squirrels than ever see this movie again."
Or close to it, anyway.
Speaking of movies. Sarah and I rented Hoodwinked the other night. Now that is a funny movie.
That's true - I hadn't thought of that.
I completely agree with you. I don't mind at all that they deviated from the comics. Let's face it: the comics are downright weird at times. And by "at times" I mean "most of the time." I don't want to see it translated to movie exactly - the phoenix saga is especially bizzare.
But I don't think we should ahve to settle for smething LESS than the comics. It's fine with me if you kill characters - any of them, really - as long as the way it goes down does justice to the character and the story, I can deal with it. It's the useless killing for shock value I take strong issue with. That was this entire movie.
"1000 years ago in the past, which is ten thousand years in the future for you..."
That's all I have to say about ridiculessness of the comics...
Post a Comment
<< Home