More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

google spreadsheet and tokyo drift

The Google spreadsheet program announced a few weeks ago is up and ready to use. It's probably been up for a while, but this is the first time I've checked, so that's all I know. At first glance, it works quite well, has all the features I'd ever really want, and is a great example of why Microsoft is steadily becoming the most backward and obsolete software vendor on the planet. And they're still the richest, so whatever. It's also a great example of an "AJAX" application done right. AJAX stands for "Asynchronous Javascript And XML", and basically means a program run over the internet that acts like it's on your computer.

Goodbye Office, Hello AJAX!!

In other news, I saw "The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift" last night. On a scale of Daredevil to Batman, it merits a "not totally terrible" rating, and has a nice cameo appearance by Vin Diesel at the end to tie the series back to the original (which I rated somewhere between "agonizing" and "awful".) It was filled with excellent cinematography, unrealistic family dynamics, over-dramatized profundity, really fast car races, violent mob street fighting, and slutty japanese women - in short, the perfect recipe for a high budget teen action movie.

It's my second to last day here at the old job, starting up on Friday at the new job. The transition time is weird. I've got one loose end to tie up here before I go, but otherwise, I'm ready to make the change. It'll be nice to be busy most of the time, and I'm excited to work down town. It should be good.

Well, June's almost up. Get your last quick post out today before the June tallies are in, and maybe you'll have a chance at beating GMack, who took a break to dance in the rain or something last week.

11 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

When Google Operating System comes out Microsoft will worry.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger RJ said...

linux?p

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger GMack said...

I really didn't see you as the kind of guy that would go and see Tokyo Drift.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger cliff said...

Besides Google spreadsheets, there are various online spreadsheets working in different directions, includes EditGrid and Numbler which you may wish to try. We have our new release yesterday. In this release, we can get live stockquote and forex by our remote data function. Here is a demo stock portfolio valuation demo . Besides remote data, our API are now open, allowing you to build your own application using EditGrid.

Of course we wouldn't forget our fundamentals, for spreadsheet functions, drag and fill and advance number formatting is available from now on.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

If I comment on this post a thousand times, does that count towards the tally?

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

If I e-mail you a thousand times and you don't e-mail me back, does that make you a jerk?

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Justin said...

He emailed me back, I guess that makes you a nerd.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

I was talking to hans.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Fast and Furious and the Tokyo Drift seems like a perfect acceptable movie to watch on HBO, when nothing else is on.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Google already owns two (new) operating systems because they bought Sun last year and Sun supposedly had two new operating systems getting ready for release. I don't know if they were bluffing to try to generate revenue or if Google hasn't realeased them because it doesn't want to fight Microsoft openly yet or what. But I think that Vista is going to see the decline of Microsoft and here's why: if you're going to have to learn a whole new operating system anyway, why not learn one that actually works? If Mac would make their OS available to any PC they would blow Vista out of the water. But since Bill Gates pretty much owens Apple since they almost went out of business, I doubt that will happen. Maybe Google will release one of theirs right before Vista to steal the market. Look at Google Checkout too, if you want. I haven't done anything with it yet because you have to put in a credit card to even login and I haven't taken the time on a secure network to do so yet. But it could be pretty cool.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger RJ said...

Google does not "own" Sun by any stretch of the imagination, I'm pretty sure. Google and Sun were all scheduled to announce something big, but then simply announced that Google would promote open office and that the google toolbar will come with the java install. Very underwhelming.

Bill Gates and Microsoft don't "own" apple either, I'm fairly certain. I could be wrong - he might own tons of stock - but I'm fairly certain the only real power he has on Apple is that microsoft publishes an apple version of office.

and yes, they do drift a mustang. Quite a lot too - it's weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home