semi-gothic nerdfest
If, in some European twisting of Paula Cole, you're wondering where all the Vikings have gone, I have some good news for you: I've found at least one of them. I saw him, live in the flesh, last night performing as the lead growler for a band called Leave's Eyes.
I couldn't find a real picture, but this is about what he looked like:
He was trying to rape and pillage Englewood last night, restrained by the fact that he's in a band, left the stage for every other song, and was touring with his wife, who wears a funny red dress with a weird corset and doubles as the lead singer for the band. Still, I was on the watch for the rest of his horde, which luckily never materialized.
Leave's Eyes was the opening band at the concert I attended last night. Judging by the 4,700 hits the band has in google, I'd say there sort of a big deal in Europe. But we're not in Europe, so they really weren't over here. I spent their portion of the show, seriously, trying not to laugh at the ironic scene of scrawny kids and middle aged, balding men, all dressed in black, making Satan horns (metal fingers) and screaming at the top of their lungs towards the costumed internationals on stage. It was funny, and I wish Jackscolon had been there, as he's proven in the past to be much better at making fun of weird concerts than I am.
And, also unlike Jacks, I can't pretend that I was forced to go to this concert. I went willingly, because the main band playing was a German heavy metal group called Blind Guardian that I've loved with all of my intensely nerdy soul since 9th grade. They sing about a variety of topics, usually focused on Tolkein or some sort of medieval imagery, and play some of the most amazing music I've ever heard.
I confess too that I let myself get totally into it, screaming and jumping up and down and stuff, because there's no use in going to a concert if you don't. You'd be better of to sit at home and listen to the cd. Not only would the music sound better, but you'd avoid the permanent damage to your hearing that most concerts, including this one, come packaged with, free of charge.
Suffice it to say that I thought Blind Guardian was totally sweet and that you, if you're a relatively normal person, wouldn't have been able to distinguish between their awesomeness and Leave's Eyes silliness. And I don't blame you.
In other news, the new Denver Lightrail is pretty darn nice. It gets me to work in the same amount of time as the bus, but it leaves the station regularly at 15 minute intervals. The only down side is that many other people have started taking advantage of our new public transportation, meaning that it's getting harder to find a good parking space. Oh well.






2 Comments:
It's weird, but if you think about it, that top picture could be me in like two years if I was to lose my job and become homeless. However, if I was to pose wearing a viking helmet you could bet that I'd have one arm raised and I'd be screaming, "VICTORY!"
Seriously though, I don't understand your taste in music.
Almost like vikings, last year's "Eurovision Song Contest" was won by a melodic death meatal band from Finland called "Lordi". www.lordi.org. I think you would like there stuff, even though it is a bit different from viking rap.
Post a Comment
<< Home