the program-world
Mair has a good post up today talking about religion and sociology, and how sociology often can't examine religious cultures honestly if it presupposes God's non-existence.
I had a slightly similar thought the other day about Computer Science. Ok, so it wasn't really similar at all, but I had a thought about God and computer science, and that's sort of like God and sociology. Right?
In computer science, we write programs (duh.) The programs these days are made out of unique pieces, called objects, and it's the programmer's job to define the objects and how they can relate to each other. For reasons I won't go into, it's important in a good program that objects not be allowed to interact with each other outside of these sorts of determinate, well-regulated sets of interactions.
The programmer, on the other hand, can see things from a much different perspective, and instantaneously write in any sort of interaction he or she required. The programmer could even start breaking all sorts of "rules" in the program, and interact with objects in ways the objects themselves don't "know" are possible.
In the spirit of Flatworld, I began to wonder what it must be like for my programs to see me change the way their world works. Here they are, going about their business, displaying images and reading databases and parsing text, and suddenly, something changes. Something happens which doesn't seem possible; something that breaks the rules and defies their reason; something that, technically, according to every piece of information they could ever fathom, is completely impossible. They must be baffled.
Some of them probably assert that the rules were never broken. The program is absolute, they believe, and so whatever happened must have a logical explination within the bounds of what the rules allow, or possibly due to some rules they haven't discovered yet. But ultimately, the rules persist, and cannot be broken. These are the program-materialists; the empiricists and modernist thinkers who assert themselves over everything. Some other group, the believers, think I am breaking the rules, and these people sing my praises, write cheesy songs, and where "W.W.R.H.D." t-shirts. Some of their more misguided pagan members probably sacrifice their program-children on program-alters in confused attempts to keep the program-sun rising each program-morning.
So, maybe it's like this for God. Maybe he wrote a consistent set of rules and relationships and interactions, and sometimes he messes around with them, and we inside this little program world are completely confused by it. It seems like I've heard something like this said a few times before, but thinking it up on my own about computer science gave it more relevance to me this time.
Anyway, as a reward to those of you who've made it to the end of this post, here's the funniest Borat video clip I've ever seen. I think it's even better than the movie:


4 Comments:
I like the way you think.
Glorious Borat goodness.
Throw that Jew down the well.
Very interesting analogy, Red. I like it. It's funny because just yesterday I was telling the great J. Morgan that - taking modernity's definition of reason/rationality for granted - I'm not sure we should assume that God is a a god of reason. I feel like the power of the Gospel lies in its sheer irrationality (irrational by our standards). And, to assume that God operates by our principles of reason just doesn't make sense to me.
Now - that said, I suppose that we could make the argument that our principles of reason are derrived from the divine logos that gave us rational faculties. But, I just don't know.
So, in your schema, I would say that just because we perceive the program as operating by a consistent set of rules doesn't convince me that it actually does and that the maker isn't doing something else entirely that we just can't understand.
I could be way off base here, but this is just what I'm thinking - so I'll throw it out there.
Love the post. Great analogy. I've been thinking about it a lot since I read this yesterday.
Mair,
Sure, why not? The rules don't even need to be consistent. They could be, and in the case of my programming analogy they are, but they don't even have to be. It could be a "badly" written program. We wouldn't know.
Post a Comment
<< Home