More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Things I Got Wrong: Christmas Edition

Like many Dads out there, my Dad, and grandfather too come to think of it, is the kind of guy who purposefully mis-interprets things people say to be funny. And it is - nine times out of ten it's clever and makes me laugh. I can't think of an example right now, but it's sort of like in Ocean's 11 when Brad Pitt misinterprets himself, repeating "I'm having the time of my life" as "I'm running away with your wife." That's right - my Dad is just like Brad Pitt, only a little bit older. But not much.

Anyway, this tendancy of my Dad's lead me to adapt a weird ability to hear the wrong thing being said in most situations, but unlike him I often don't realize it's a joke, and as a consequence I grew up misinterpreting a lot of things. One of those things was Christmas songs. Here's a few examples of lines I got wrong:
  • "Let nothing you dismay remember Christ our savior was born on Christmas day" - I heard it more like, "Let none of the things that dismay you remember that Jesus was born on Christmas." I was dismayed by things like this itself - what the hell did it mean?
  • "Outside the snow is blowing, and friends are calling you 'who?'" Why does winter make my friends forget who I am? Why would they call me that?
  • "Dashing through the snow, in a one whore soap 'n' slay" - what the heck is a soap 'n' slay? And why is this appropriate material for Children?
Well, I guess that's all of them. Unrelated to Christmas, I also grew up thinking that "Dawnserly" was an appropriate adjective to apply to light thanks to misinterpreting our national anthem.

9 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Worst. Post. Ever.

Just kidding, but seriously, if I wasn't concerned that making fun of your posts would make you post even less, then I'd say this one was terrible.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger RJ said...

Really? Wow. Ouch. The only other thing I could think of to post about was complaining about Microsoft, which I'll probably do tomorrow. Would that have been better?

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger MsStone said...

No. I liked this one.

Except I think that Dawnsearly thing also came from a Juny B. Jones and the Stinky Smelly Bus book.

That's okay.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Mair said...

Ok, remember the opening to "luv is a verb" by dc talk? "Take this mob for a ride!!"??? My sister thought it said, "Hey! That's my friend Rob!"

I liked your post. Tell Justin to shut it.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger RJ said...

A what? Juny B? I haven't heard of that. Not that I'm above plagarism, but I really don't know what you're talking about.

Mair, my mom had few for DC talk too. She thought "Say the words" was "Save the worms", and...shoot, I can't remember the others right now.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger E.A.P said...

Okay, I almost snorted my drink at "one whore soap 'n' slay." Ignore the haters, this post quite amused me.

I'll quote (or butcher a quote from) Warden Gentiles in Arrested Development: "I can’t say no to the man who gave me 'Awesome Dudical Love.'"

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger MsStone said...

Whoops. Turns out it's Junie. You get the idea.

AAAAAAAnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd, I'm not saying you stole it. I had just already heard that one, so it wasn't as funny to me.

It probably would have been otherwise.

AH!

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you make fun of Microsoft, I promise at least one rebuttal post.

eqhrieb

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Justin said...

You can thank my naysaying for driving comment traffic.

I love Microsoft.

Whatever happened to posts about muffins?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home