More vituperous ribaldry than a stick might be shaken towards.

Friday, July 14, 2006

a note to the music industry

First, not a note to the music industry, but a public service announcement: I no longer have a Verizon phone. I've switched my number onto my company's service plan, which is through Cingular and I'm told is also "a really really huge package, like, so huge, that you can't even touch it." And I won't even try - it just wouldn't be appropriate. Here's a picture of my sweet new phone, who feels small and fragile compared to the elegant brick I'm so used to carrying:

And now, a vowel-impaired phone who
thinks it's a matchbook: the razr.


Now, onto the note. I think I'm the only person in the western world who's denied Bono and refused to buy an iPod, so I've been spending a lot of time listening to cd's in my computer. I've come up with a list of rules music companies should follow to keep this experience pleasant and comfortable for those of us who are lagging at entering the digital age:

1.) We don't want extra content. We especially don't want extra content that auto-plays. I don't really care to see a video of a band smashing chairs or dancing around in fields of wheat or whatever...if I wanted to see a music video, I'd buy the DVD.

2.) I don't want to be hampered by your copy-protection software. This means you should not put anything on the CD that I'm required to install, or anything I'll have to uninstall later, or anything that otherwise prevents me from playing the CD. Do whatever you want to stop pirates - just make the CD play through window's media player, and I don't really care what else you do. But having to call tech support to listen to Foo Fighters is simply inexcusable.

The bottom line is this: music CD's are purchased for their music, and should be made to easily play music. If your priorities number 1 - 99 aren't "make the music easily playable," you're doing something wrong. You're free to spend priority 100 on all those extra bells and whistles and gizmos and gadgets and hula hoops, but considered yourself warned: I'm not buying CD's that don't play correctly and easily. That's right, Sony - no more root kits.

10 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Just give your soul to Bono- Ipod's are totally worth it. The click-wheel should go down as the greatest technical achievement of our age...

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Mair said...

why is there all this hating on Bono? Give him your money - he'll give it to starving children in the third world who also happen to be dying of AIDS. So what if you don't like his music - he wasn't nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for nothing!!!!! (for more info see www.one.org)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

I have also fought the urge to get an iPod, mostly because I don't know how computer-like things work.
But I also think there is something sinister going on when teenage kids are listening quitely to iPods when they should be vandalizing and destroying old people's property. If they don't do it, who will?

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

quitely...ha!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger RJ said...

There's no hating on Bono here - I just haven't bought the idea he's selling about how the iPod is a necessary component in the life of any progressive individual roaming the world today. I do like the causes he's supporting, but as we spoke about before, I wonder if the real solution to aids is another clothing line or if another movie can really stop hunger or if a big concert is really going to save the childrens. I admire Bono - he's got a rare taelent to convert all that celebrity attention to talking about causes everyone would rather buy stuff for than do anything about, and it's much better than spending all of his time talking about how immensly good looking he is, or getting attention for who's wife he's stealing.

so, in conclusion, bono is a wonderful man who I won't buy stuff from. yet.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger GMack said...

I just skipped the ipod and I listen to music on my phone.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger RJ said...

how much space do you have? I put one song on this razr, and it's taken up about 60% of the memory. I think I can buy a new sim card with more space or something, but I haven't looked into it. The basic problem with using the phone as an mp3 player is size....from what I've heard, most can't do more than 100 songs, which apple does on purpose to keep you hooked on the 'pod. So it's good for carrying a few albums, but not for storing your entire music collection.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger GMack said...

Well, I hold about 50-60 songs depending on the song size...and my wife has the same phone as well, so we store about 100 songs between the two of us. I don't mind because it takes all of 5 minutes to hook up and redo all the songs on the phone plus I can just pop my chip out and swap with my wife. Not to be confused with swapping wives. My 256MB chip was only like $24 so I don't mind...it is cheaper than an Ipod.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger RJ said...

yeah, that's a pretty good deal. How's the battery life with that?

Another problem with the Razr, however, is that at least this original model doesn't feature a headphone jack - just a single mini-usb port that I use for both power and attaching any peripherals. This works great for the super-Chad blue tooth headset, but good luck finding mini-usb headphones.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger GMack said...

The battery life is awesome and actually my speakers are very good. I can set the phone down in the car and use it instead of the radio...it puts out quite a bit of sound. When I was flying home on my last interview I listened for over an hour and I barely used a bar on my battery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home