Dear Microsoft: "Free" better mean FREE.
As you probably know, I'm no fan of the evil empire - that is, Microsoft - which has alternately blessed and cursed the home computer/software world since it's inception over 20 years ago. Microsoft has been staunchly against freedom in home computing since the beginning, striking out through patents and litigation to restrict access and use on computers from any methods on than those that they explicitly control and profit from. While this worked and maybe even benefited us-the-users back in the day, that day is over - the day of the large, expensive, bulky operating system filled with large, expensive and bulky software.
Microsoft's taken hits in recent years from visionary companies like Google who've set out to give people what they want: great products at really cheap, often free, prices.
Recently, Microsoft's been making gestures as if they've finally gotten the clue. Bill Gates is stepping down from his position as master of the Dark Side and turning most of his responsibilities over to Darth Ray Ozzie, who will allegedly take the company in new, better, more hopeful directions. First and foremost, they're going to try to understand this "Internet" thing, and why it's so big.
In an effort to restore some of their long flagging street cred, Microsoft recently began reskinning all of their services to look just like Google, and even started talking about giving things away for free. One of these things caught my eye this past week: Free domain name registration and web hosting for small websites! I've had RedHurtMachine.com for a year now, but never wanted to shell out the $40 to get a hosting plan behind it through GoDaddy. I was excited at the prospect of switching to a free server. This isn't something Google offers yet. Maybe Microsoft is really turning over a new leaf!
Maybe not. Four steps into a registration web-page that can only be accessed through Internet Exploder, Microsoft asked for my credit card number. Why? This is supposed to be free! I clicked the, "why do you need it?" link, and this is what it said:
"We also require a credit card to facilitate payment of services during the beta (e.g., the purchase of additional domain names) as well as at the conclusion of the beta period, when customers will be asked if they would like to continue using our services on a paid, monthly subscription basis."
There's nothing saying that the standard basic account is in Beta, or that the Beta trial period will ever end, so maybe this message doesn't apply to the standard account. It's hard to say - they certainly don't. I might try it, but I don't trust them. I want to believe them, but it's hard to put faith in a company so determined to take my money and keep decent products like FireFox out of the game.
Thoughts?
Jacks, I had two doughnuts this morning. They were good. That's kind of like a muffin.


7 Comments:
I haven't had a donut in forever, I'm jealous, yet probably have a lower BMI.
Also, I think we can all say Microsoft is sweet. Two words (take your pick): Ha-lo. Unannounced dividends. Profit margin. and of course, Front-page.
I'm 90% in favor of their video game division. The xbox is awesome, and I'm much happier with it than I'd be with a PS3 at this point. It's their OS, home software, and internet groups that tick me off.
If you don't like their OS, then why use it? Honestly-- I've heard the complaint that Windows is horrible and that IE crashes and that MS just tries to keep the good projects down before, and the vast majority of the people I hear saying this are well-educated and savvy computer users like yourself. So my question is...why don't you switch?
The excuse I usually get is that you want to keep using your games. Well, unless you're the upgrade-every-6mos kind of person, then you've got plenty of options for running Windows games on another system with the same expectation s of performance.
Here's the deal: MS makes an operating system that is well-suited for the bulk of computer users. Period. The fact that Windows is buggy and susceptible to attack is unfortunate, but it isn't like this was intentional. So MS will patent things that protect their ability to keep their market share, (Said patents don't seem to be hurting Apple's ability to make an OS) and the fact that Grandma is blissfully ignorant about her standards-incompliant browser is just fine by me.
I'll post more regarding their internet properties if I can find the time.
I can't say I'm too anti-Windows either. I've gotten the bluescreen of death a couple of times, but I've never had a crash, and I've never had any real trouble. Office is great, and at least with XP I get a toolbar at the bottom of the screen so I can click on open Apps- unlike my Mac, where multiple windows don't really show up, and I have to minimize everything to get to them.
As for gaming, the PS3 launch is absolute crap. If it weren't for the severly restricted supply they wouldn't be selling out, the Wii is kicking its ass, and even the 360 is still outselling it. Which is great, because if there is an electronics company that deserves hate, it's definitely Sony.
It's not the games - it's programs for work that keep me from switching. I can't get a stable version of flex builder for the mac, let alone try to find one for linux.
I'm not super-upset about XP, and if you look at my post, I didn't really say most of the stereotypical "MS sux" stuff. I never mentioned crashes or the blue screen of death. So don't paint me into a boxy corner, or put words in the mouth of this gift horse.
My problem with MS's operating systems just started, really: it's Vista that pisses me off. The EULA requires we authorize the system to call home and verify the legality of any processes running on it at any time. You have to agree to allow microsoft to monitor the programs you're running and the system is designed to shut itself down or prevent programs it doesn't recognize as legit from running. That's horribly invasive and a tremendous breach in privacy, and I'm not ok with that. I don't rent my computers or my software - especially at the prices M$ is charging - and so I expect and demand complete control.
Sure, Grandma's fine, but I'm not buying a computer for Grandma, and I wasn't talking about what Grandma likes to use. I don't like Microsoft because they've prevented and impeded competition, and as a result, I HAVE to use their crappy system some of the time because I CAN'T switch and still use programs I have to. Why does everything have to be .NET? Why are they trying to force web pages to use ActiveX? Why do their programs use DirectX? The answer is because they invented those technologies - they're propriatary, they control the patents, and so they control the money. That IE isn't standards compliant is frustrating for me as a web developer, but it's far more upsetting that I can't use many web-pages unless I'm running internet explorer.
I probably will switch, because like I said, Vista sounds horrible. I'd switch to linux right now if I could, but there's simply not support for the software I need. I'll switch to a mac for sure the next time I buy a computer, but even then the software support will be rough. At least it'll dual boot windows. Oh crap.
Yeah, so that's a point I didn't make. .Net (for instance) is a solid step backwards in the realm of development technology: to shave some size off of your executables you force everyone to download a massive framework. Heaven forbid your program is compiled for a different version of said framework-- I've had incompatibilities between 1.0 and 1.1.
I can't really speak to Vista's shortcomings. What you've described seems awfully invasive, but even assuming MS is still tailoring their OS toward the non-savvy user doesn't preclude ideas like 'actually enforcing proper role-based security'.
Shouldn't you blame the dearth of non-MS flex compilers on Adobe? Or is that something that the average programmer could hack together?
I would blame it on Adobe, but it's a problem across the board because it's not profitable for software companies. It's not profitable because it's not yet profitable to compete with Microsoft, because they've locked the industry down so hard that no one could successfully compete for so long. On one hand that's good business, and I'd be happy if they were controlling the market by making the best software available. Instead, they're making the most restrictive software available. Anyway, changes are coming, and I'm supporting better companies like Apple and Google insofar as they continue to make better products.
That said, I'm going to give this free domain thing a shot and see how it works out. If MS is ready to start making better products that are usable, I want to encourage that in our industry by using those products.
Post a Comment
<< Home